Teddy

Teddy

Sunday 30 March 2014

My First Crochet

I started crocheting about 3 years ago after picking up a copy of "The Art of Crochet" magazine. 

I had previously tried knitting when I was in my early teens but it wasn't for me, in the same way that I can't hold a pen in my non-dominant right hand I just couldn't grasp having a needle in each hand  and often found myself wedging one needle between my knees and knitting in one direction then swapping back over. 

Not a very productive method and there went my idea to knit a scarf for my crafting Guide Badge.

So back to crochet, I thought I'd give it ago, problem number 1! I'm left handed and the magazine is written for right handed people.. grrrr... I tried to give a go doing it the "right" way but I was all fingers and thumbs, figuring it couldn't be that hard to translate over to lefty instructions. I started again and here was that first square:


Not bad for a first attempt, my tension was a little bit off as the square was bigger than the pattern required, but it was still a square. Yay!

Having got the hang of various squares and granny squares all of which were different sizes as my tensions improved I got bored and moved on after all the squares were supposed to tessellate and stitch together to make a blanket but being different sizes it wouldn't really work.

The next project I started was a crocheted hat, simple enough crochet in the round till it fits. Tadaaahhh:

sorry about the quality

Of course I couldn't help making it more fun and adding little kitty ears, which as it turned wasn't a good idea when I was trying to make friends with some kittens in the vets who arched their backs and hissed at me, oops. It did look great at bonfire night though.






No comments:

Post a Comment